LONDON, KY (January 28, 2021) - Laurel County Sheriff John Root is reporting that: Laurel Sheriff's Deputy Justin Taylor along with shift Sgt. John Inman, Deputy Landry Collett, and Deputy Hobie Daugherty arrested Shawn C. Barnes age 39 of Slate Lick Rd., London early Thursday morning January 28, 2021 at approximately 2:20 AM.
The arrest occurred off US 25 at a business approximately 1/2 mile north of London after deputies encountered this individual and found him in possession of suspected Xanax, and a plastic snorting straw.
This subject struggled with deputies upon arrest, and was found in possession of a container he tried to conceal that contained suspected Heroin. In addition, deputies noted that this subject was attempting to ingest a plastic bag containing a white substance.
In addition, as deputies continued to investigate it was learned that this individual was wanted on a warrant of arrest.
Shawn C. Barnes was charged with:
- Possession of a controlled substance – first-degree – first offense – Heroin
- Possession of a controlled substance – third-degree
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Resisting arrest
- Tampering with physical evidence
- Prescription controlled substances not in proper container – first offense
In addition, this subject was charged on a Laurel District Court warrant of arrest charging:
- Trafficking in a controlled substance – first-degree – first offense – Meth
- Trafficking in a controlled substance – first offense – Heroin
- Possession of a handgun by a convicted felon
These charges were filed by Laurel Sheriff's Lieut. Chris Edwards regarding an investigation and execution of a search warrant where a large amount of suspected Methamphetamine and Heroin were located at a residence where this subject was staying. In addition, a large amount of US currency and a gun were also located.
This individual is a convicted felon regarding a conviction in Harlan Circuit Court on amended charges of:
- Wanton endangerment – first-degree from an original charge of assault – first-degree – nonfamily – Gun
This individual was lodged in the Laurel County Correctional Center.
Photo of accused attached is courtesy of the Laurel County Correctional Center.
Photo of contraband seized provided by arresting deputies.
Laurel County Sheriff John Root stated that drug investigations and arrests will continue in Laurel County.