LONDON, KY – The Kentucky State Police (KSP) is reporting that on Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at approximately 3:13 PM, KSP Trooper Jason Smith conducted a traffic stop on Arthur Ridge Road in the East Bernstadt community of Laurel County.
Trooper Smith determined the driver, Charles S. Sparks, 60, of Hamilton, OH was driving under the influence.
Upon further investigation approximately (12.7) ounces of suspected Methamphetamine was discovered with an estimated street value of $5,000. Also located was a handgun along with $1,371.00 in U.S. currency.
Sparks was arrested at the scene and transported to the Laurel County Correctional Center.
Charles Sparks was charged with:
- Trafficking in a Controlled Substance, 1st Degree
- Possession of a Controlled Substance 1st Degree
- Possession of Marijuana
- Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence
- Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon
- Failure to Wear Seat Belt
- Operating Vehicle with an Expired License
- Failure to Produce an Insurance Card
- Speeding 25 MPH over Speed Limit.
This individual was lodged in the Laurel County Correctional Center.
Photo of the accused is courtesy of the Laurel County Correctional Center.
Trooper Smith is continuing the investigation.
# # #