BARBOURVILLE, KY - The Knox County, KY Sheriff's Department is reporting that on Friday, May 26, 2023, Knox County Sheriff Mike Smith received information that a wanted fugitive was driving a vehicle on U.S. 25E in Barbourville.
Sheriff Smith observed the vehicle and activated his emergency equipment to stop the vehicle. The vehicle increased speed in an attempt to flee.
Sheriff Smith along with Deputies and assistance from KSP Detective Aaron Frederick, apprehended and arrested 41 year-old Sandy Rice of Barbourville, KY in the Boone Heights community after he exited the vehicle and tried to flee on foot.
The Sheriff’s office had been looking for Sandy Rice form a previous complaint they had received of him knocking on residential doors and trespassing in the Bentley Estates subdivision as well as to serve an Indictment warrant.
Sandy Rice is charged with:
- 3 COUNTS WANTON ENDANGERMENT-1ST DEGREE-POLICE OFFICER
- 3 COUNTS WANTON ENDANGERMENT-1ST DEGREE
- RECKLESS DRIVING
- DISORDERLY CONDUCT, 2ND DEGREE
- NO OPERATORS-MOPED LICENSE
- PUBLIC INTOXICATION-CONTROLL SUB (EXCLUDES ALCOHOL)
- PERSISTENT FELONY OFFENDER I
- 2 COUNTS ASSAULT 3RD DEGREE-POLICE OFFICER OR PROB OFFICER
- 2 COUNTS ASSAULT 3RD DEGREE (EMS ,FIRE ,RESCUE SQUAD)
- RESISTING ARREST
This individual was lodged in the Knox County Detention Center.
Photo of the accused is courtesy of the Knox County Detention Center.