Attorney General Daniel Cameron

Investigation by Kentucky Attorney General's Office Leads to Felony Indictment of Scott County Man for Medicaid Fraud

FRANKFORT, KY – Attorney General Daniel Cameron announced today that an investigation conducted by his Medicaid Fraud Unit led to the indictment of DeMarco Phillips, 32, of Georgetown, for defrauding the Kentucky Medical Assistance Program, also known as Medicaid.

On Wednesday, June 21, 2023, a Nelson County Grand Jury indicted DeMarco Phillips for:

  • One count of Theft by Deception over $10,000 (Class C felony)
  • One count of Presenting Fraudulent Claims to Defraud the Kentucky Medical Assistance Program of $1,000 or more (Class D felony)

The Attorney General's Medicaid Fraud Unit investigated the case after receiving a referral from the Office of the Inspector General within the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. Assistant Attorney General David R. Startsman presented the case before the Nelson County Grand Jury on behalf of the Commonwealth.

To file a Medicaid fraud or abuse complaint, visit or call the Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Hotline at 1-877-ABUSE TIP (1-877-228-7384).

The Kentucky Attorney General's Office of Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Control receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $6,333,333 for Federal fiscal year (FY) 2023. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $1,583,333 for FY 2023, is funded by the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

The charges in an indictment are allegations, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.



Submit Press Releases