LONDON, KY - According to the London Police Department, on Sunday, November 19, 2023, London Police were notified by the London Dispatch Center in reference to the Kentucky State Police being involved in an active pursuit coming into the city limits from East Laurel Road.
Ofc. Daugherty noted he observed the fleeing vehicle go around a Laurel County Sheriff's Office unit at a high rate of speed at the intersection of KY-192 and East Laurel Road.
The fleeing vehicle turned right onto KY-192 passing traffic at a high rate of speed.
The vehicle turned right onto the Hal Rogers Parkway. When the fleeing vehicle was reaching the Manchester exit, Ofc. Daugherty noted, he observed Clay County units that appeared to be blocking off the bridge.
The vehicle then drove in the oncoming lanes and drove up the opposing lane going up the wrong way on the exit ramp.
The vehicle ran out of gas on North Highway 421 where a male suspect refused to follow loud verbal commands given by the police.
After a brief struggle, the suspect, identified as Dennis J. Smith, age 53, was placed under arrest.
Search incident to arrest, Ofc. Daugherty located a baggie of Methamphetamine on Smith's person. Officers also located drug paraphernalia.
Dennis J. Smith is lodged in the Laurel County Correctional Center.
The charges below are all listed as PENDING except for the last one, which is listed as FINAL SENTENCED.
All the charges listed below, may or may not be connected to the pursuit incident.
- SPEEDING 26 MPH OR > SPEED LIMIT
- FLEEING OR EVADING POLICE, 1ST DEGREE (MOTOR VEHICLE)
- WANTON ENDANGERMENT-1ST DEGREE
- DRIVING DUI SUSPENDED LICENSE - 1ST OFF (AGG CIRCUM)
- OPER MTR VEHICLE U/INFL ALC .08 (189A.010(1A) - 3RD (AGG CIR)
- RECKLESS DRIVING
- DISORDERLY CONDUCT, 2ND DEGREE
- RESISTING ARREST
- POSS CONT SUB 1ST DEG, 1ST OFF (METHAMPHETAMINE)
- IMPROPER PASSING
- DISREGARDING STOP SIGN
- DISREGARDING TRAFFIC CONT DEV-TRAFFIC LIGHT
- DRIVING TOO FAST FOR TRAFFIC CONDITIONS
- UNAPPROVED OR NO EYE PROTECTIVE DEVICE(MOTORCYCLE)
- DISREGARD-FAIL TO YEILD RIGHT OF WAY
- FAILURE OF OWNER TO MAINTAIN REQUIRED INS/SEC, 1ST OFF
- FAILURE TO PRODUCE INSURANCE CARD
- SPEEDING IN A RESTRICTED ZONE
- NO OPERATORS-MOPED LICENSE
- LICENSE TO BE IN POSSESSION
- NO MOTORCYCLE OPERATORS LICENSE
- IMPROPER DISPLAY OF REGISTRATION PLATES
- LICENSE PLATE NOT LEGIBLE
- DRUG PARAPHERNALIA - BUY/POSSESS
- NO REGISTRATION RECEIPT
- OPERATING ON SUS OR REV OPER LICENSE
Photo is courtesy of the Laurel County Correctional Center where records show the accused was booked into the facility on Monday, November 20, 2023 at 1:45:00 AM and as of 7:05 AM Sunday, November 26, 2023 remains lodged.
LINK TO CLAYCONEWS ARTICLE RELATED TO THE ACCUSED IN THE ABOVE ARTICLE: ARRESTED: Driver begans backing up in possible Attempt to avoid a Traffic Stop in Laurel County, Kentucky