The EEOC has issued a proposed rule governing employee wellness programs. The proposed rule includes the following:
- Wellness programs must be reasonably designed to promote health or prevent disease.
- Wellness programs must be voluntary.
- Employers may offer limited incentives for employees to participate in wellness programs or to achieve certain health outcomes.
- Medical information obtained as part of a wellness program must be kept confidential.
- Employers must provide reasonable accommodations that enable employees with disabilities to participate and to earn whatever incentives the employer offers.
To view the entire notice and comment on the proposed rule clickhere.
The top killer of people at work in Kentucky: The Kentucky Labor Department has recently released its findings from reviewing the causes of worker fatalities each year in Kentucky from 2012-14 and found that heart attacks were the overwhelming number one cause of death at work. To view the entire news release click here.
Possible mandatory labor law poster update?: On February 25, 2015, the Department of Labor (DOL) issued a Final Rule revising the regulatory definition of spouse under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993. The effective date for the Final Rule was March 27, 2015. The Final Rule amends the regulatory definition of spouse under the FMLA so that eligible employees in legal same-sex marriages will be able to take FMLA leave to care for their spouse or family members, regardless of where they live. To view the complete rule click here. As of this email, an updated posting has not been released.
To ensure you always have the most current labor law posters joinover 600 other Kentucky companies who are enrolled in our free Auto Renewal Poster Subscription Program. When signing up, simply let us know how many posters you need, and when there is a mandatory update we will ship the poster(s) and include an invoice. Click here to enroll for free.
Just a few more days to post OSHA Form 300A: Employers who are required to post OSHA Form 300A must continue to do so until April 30.
If you have any questions, email me at
Sarah Vaught Cathey | Operations Manager, Business Education
Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
464 Chenault Road | Frankfort, KY 40601
p: 502-848-8719 | f: 502-848-8757