Felony Suspect From NC Commits Suicide As Police Attempt Arrest

(BALTIMORE, MD) May 3, 2016 – A fugitive wanted for multiple felony charges in North Carolina committed suicide this morning after a multi-jurisdictional police fugitive team located him in Baltimore and attempted his arrest.

The suspect is not being identified at this time because police have been unable to yet notify family members. He is a 54-year-old man from Georgia and formerly of Baltimore, MD. He was wanted on a warrant from the Greensboro NC Police Department for charges including robbery with a deadly weapon, assault with a deadly weapon on a law enforcement officer, and kidnapping.

Within the past week, investigators with the Maryland State Apprehension Team, a multi-jurisdictional fugitive unit, were contacted by detectives from the Greensboro Police Department who requested assistance in locating the suspect. Greensboro detectives said the suspect was wanted in connection with a series of crimes that occurred there on April 21, 2016. The crimes involved the armed robbery of a phone store, the intentional ramming of multiple police vehicles during a subsequent pursuit, a home invasion and kidnapping after he fled on foot, and the theft of a Hyundai Santa Fe from the home he had broken into.

The suspect was known to have previously lived in Baltimore and MSAT investigators began an immediate search for him in the area. At about 10:00 a.m. today, MSAT investigators were in the 6000-block of Loch Raven Blvd., Baltimore, when they spotted the vehicle stolen from North Carolina parked behind a residence.

Police officers from the MSAT Team, all wearing badges and outer clothing marked “Police,” surrounded the home. Officers at the front knocked at the door and announced their presence, advising they had an arrest warrant for the fugitive.

Minutes later, the fugitive exited the door at the rear of the home holding a handgun. Police in the alley behind the home immediately gave him commands to surrender, as he stood on the small porch outside the home. Without warning, the fugitive lifted the handgun he was holding and shot himself in the head.

An ambulance and EMS personnel were immediately summoned to the scene. The fugitive was transported to Johns Hopkins Hospital where he was pronounced deceased shortly before noon.

No one else was in the home when the fugitive emerged. The connection between the fugitive and the residents of the home is not known at this time and remains under investigation.

The Baltimore Police Department Homicide Unit responded and is conducting an investigation into the apparent suicide, which is procedure. Detectives were obtaining a search warrant for the home before it is processed by crime scene technicians and examined further by investigators.

The Baltimore Police Department Special Investigation Response Team responded to the scene and is conducting a review. All officers on the scene are being interviewed. There is no information or evidence at this time that shots were fired by any police officer on the scene.

The MSAT unit included police officers from the Maryland State Police, United States Marshals Service, Baltimore Police Department Warrant Apprehension Task Force, Baltimore County Police, and Howard County Police. This team works together cooperatively to locate and arrest fugitives.



Submit Press Releases