Death of Wicomico Co., MD Man During Transport For Treatment Investigated

(HEBRON, MD) – Maryland State Police criminal investigators assigned to the Wicomico Bureau of Investigation are investigating the death of a man who may have had a medical emergency while county deputies and EMS personnel were moving him from his home to an ambulance.

The deceased is identified as Jerry Rosenberger Jr., 32, of Hebron, Md. He was pronounced dead at Peninsula Regional Medical Center.

The preliminary investigation indicates that at about 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, deputies from the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call for a disorderly man at a home in the 25000-block of Gristmill Road, Hebron. Deputies were met by the father of the disorderly man, who reported his son had been acting strange and he was afraid his son may hurt him. The father reported his son had assaulted him earlier this month. He said his son was taking prescription medications and several muscle building supplements.

Deputies found the man, believed to weigh about 400 pounds, seated on his bedroom floor sweating profusely. According to deputies, Rosenberger was experiencing mood swings ranging from calm to angry and was speaking nonsensically. Deputies determined he should be transported to the hospital for an emergency petition and summoned EMS personnel.

Mardela Springs Emergency Medical Services personnel responded and Rosenberger told them he could not walk to the ambulance. EMS personnel enlisted the assistance of deputies to help move the man on a collapsible stretcher. When they reached the ambulance, EMS personnel determined the man was not breathing and emergency procedures were initiated.

Rosenberger was transported by ambulance to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. His body has been transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of death.

State Police investigators from the Wicomico County Bureau of Investigation are conducting the investigation. They are continuing to conduct interviews of persons on the scene Wednesday night. In addition to the deputies and EMS personnel, an officer from the Salisbury Police Department was also present. The preliminary investigation indicates there was no significant physical contact or any use of force by law enforcement or EMS personnel involved.

The investigation is continuing.


Submit Press Releases
[email protected]