LONDON, KY. (January 20, 2020) - Laurel County Sheriff John Root is reporting that: Laurel Sheriff's Deputy Joey Robinson arrested Matthew Bryce Kolvek age 33 of North Highway 1223, Corbin early Sunday morning January 19, 2020 at approximately 2:13 AM.
The arrest occurred off Adams Road approximately 10 miles South of London after Deputy Robinson attempted to conduct a traffic stop on a tan colored Ford Fusion that he observed weaving on the roadway on US 25. The vehicle then passed a car on double yellow no passing zone lines.
Deputy Robinson activated his emergency equipment however the vehicle refused to stop, turning its head lights off and turning onto American Greeting Card Road where he traveled into the opposing lane nearly striking a Constable’s cruiser head on.
The vehicle traveled onto West Cumberland Gap Pkwy. running red lights and driving in the opposing lane of traffic nearly hitting other vehicles. The vehicle then traveled onto Adams Road turning around in a field and traveling back down Adams Road.
Sheriff's Deputies had radioed ahead requesting Corbin City Police to deploy spike strips where Adams Road met KY 770.
The suspect vehicle hit the spike strips and came to a stop. Deputies along with Corbin City Police, Kentucky State Police and a Constable attempted to remove the driver from the vehicle and following a brief struggle with the suspect, he was taken into custody.
The arrested individual was determined to be under the influence and had numerous outstanding warrants.
Matthew Bryce Kolvek was charged with:
- Fleeing or evading police – first-degree – motor vehicle
- Reckless driving
- Wanton endangerment – second-degree – police officer is victim
- Failure to signal
- Operating a motor vehicle under the influence – first offense
- Failure to wear seatbelts
- Speeding more than 20 mph over the limit
- Operating on suspended or revoked operator's license
- Resisting arrest
- Tampering with physical evidence-this subject allegedly threw drugs out the window during the pursuit
In addition, this subject was charged on a Whitley District Court bench warrant of arrest charging:
- Contempt of court – child support
Additionally, this individual was charged on a Clay District Court bench warrant of arrest charging:
- Failure to appear in court on charges of fleeing or evading police – first-degree – motor vehicle
- Fleeing or evading police – second-degree – on foot
- Giving officer false identifying information
- Theft of identity of another without consent
This individual was lodged in the Laurel County Correctional Center.
Photo of accused attached is courtesy of the Laurel County Correctional Center.
Assisting on the pursuit was: for Laurel County Sheriff's office -Deputy Tommy Houston, Deputy Shannon Jones, K-9 Deputy Gary Mehler.
Also assisting was Corbin City Police, Kentucky State Police, and Constable David Griffith.