FRANKFORT, KY – Attorney General Daniel Cameron announced on Thursday, July 6, 2023 that a Grand Jury presentation by his Special Prosecutions Unit resulted in the indictment of Steven Sheangshang, 45, for the Murder of a Police Officer. According to the indictment, Sheangshang shot and killed Scott County Sheriff's Deputy Caleb Conley, while Deputy Conley was in the lawful performance of his duties.
On July 6, 2023, a Scott County Grand Jury indicted Sheangshang for:
- One count of Murder of a Police Officer (Capital Offense)
- One count of Convicted Felon in Possession of a Handgun (Class C Felony)
- One count of Robbery, First Degree (Class B Felony)
- Two counts of Wanton Endangerment, First Degree (Class D Felony)
- One count of Persistent Felony Offender, First Degree (Class A Felony)
The case was investigated by Kentucky State Police Detective Keith Howard, and Executive Director of the Office of Special Prosecutions Rewa Zakharia and Assistant Attorney General Tim Cocanougher presented the case on behalf of the Commonwealth.
The charges in the indictment are allegations, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.